Sunday 23 February 2014

You're Never Too Old to Learn!

Well this last week has zoomed by way too quickly!  We've packed a lot in (me and the girls) making, baking and so on and even got to enjoy the nicer days (there were a couple!) over this wintry and wet half term - out on the bikes and then with the dogs taking in the biting wind trying to spot deer and hares against the dark and sodden landscape.  We drove down to Somerset one day and witnessed some of the immense flooding which seemed to go on for miles and miles...we counted our blessings!

 




It wasn't just the girls who got creative I too have been a busy bee and made a few more scarves this week mixing in some Tussah silk here and there - the effect is quite something, lending a really luxurious look and feel to the scarves.  The silk throwsters are less predictable but I like the way they grab hold of the wool as if they were afraid to let go.  The process is always tinged with slight trepidation since I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago using way too much silk and the whole thing came apart in my hands in the final fulling process - I was somewhat peeved since I was making it with and for one of my daughters.  It was a lesson learnt though and thankfully not an expensive one as we were using 'waste' wool and silk.  I did think it was amazingly soft as we were working with it...now I know why!


No comments:

Post a Comment