Sunday 17 March 2013

Looking for Something Original? Look No Further!

I love doing what I do.  I am lucky, I know, in that I get to create beautiful objects from bits and pieces found on the beach and old books and left over wrapping paper etc.  Like most people in my 'line of work' I create specific sets of shapes and sizes of products whether it be driftwood or decoupage.  It simply isn't practical or cost-effective to create a raft of unique works (although, given that I work with driftwood each piece is inevitably a one-off).


Close-up of commissioned abstract
driftwood art.  I love the way the light casts
playful shadows against the wall - adds an
extra dimension to an already gorgeous
and unique work!


Commissioned Abstract Driftwood Art for Indulgent
Bathroom Space - we all deserve a bit of ME time after all!















Thus, when I get a tentative enquiry regarding a 'commission' I do get rather excited.  I consult with my client and we come up with a 'concept' together.  Sometimes the client is very specific about what they want and sometimes they have a vague idea and we work through the project piece by piece, and then there are those who are happy to let me 'run' with an idea and pleased to have their very own 'commissioned' artwork with a 'story' to display where-they-will in their own home.
 
Hessian backed and mirror fixed
awaiting adornment

Close up of sea-washed glass
affixed to gnarly driftwood







Awaiting the finishing touches - surrounded by bits and
pieces of wood and shells that may or may not be a part
of the finished article.

I'm currently working on a  driftwood mirror to be shipped over to the USA.  It's going well and I can't wait to finish it and then lovingly package it up for it's long old journey across the 'Pond'.  It's almost twice the size of my bigger mirrors and I know it's going to look great upon completion (see pictures for progress so far). 

Close-up on a corner

So, there it is!  Don't be afraid to commission anything because us arty crafty types love a challenge and a chance to break away from the 'norm' every now and then!  TTFN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment