Sunday 29 January 2012

Can I have a Doggy-Bag Please?

You don't always need to go to the beach to pick up some lovely shells!  Last night I was treated to my favourite meal as a precursor to my up-coming birthday.  You probably wont be surprised to learn that it is Fruits de Mer!  My mouth is watering at the thought of all the lovely seafood; lobster, prawns (big and small), mussels, cockles, crab, oysters and the most delightful and delicious scallops, homemade pumpkin-seed bread and fresh green salad.  The meal was topped off with a lovely Sancerre and the stimulating company of my husband.  I didn't want the evening to end.  As a memento I asked the waitress to save the shells from the meal in a doggy-bag, which she duly did, so that I could take them home and use them for my driftwood creations.  So, in the cold light of day, I have scrubbed and cleaned up the rather fishy-smelling shells and am pleased as punch with the results.  The oyster shells are simply beautiful - subtle lilac hues,with cream, white and grey tones mixed in with pinks and blues (I hope my photo conveys the gorgeousness and texture that make these beauties).  The scallop shells are great showy pieces and the cockle shells patterned with rich yellows and browns, while the mussels are characteristically whale blue in colour on the outside but a translucent white inside.  With less than 24 hours until my first workshop of 2012 I am well and truly fired up and raring to go - here's hoping it all goes swimmingly!

Oyster shell close up


Marvellous Mussel shell

Scallop and Oyster on enamelled tin plate




No comments:

Post a Comment