Tuesday 3 January 2012

To be or KNOT to be?


Sunburst - shells, glass, knotted rope & wood

I am delighted to have seen in the New Year and hope you are too, in spite of the frightful weather, and am looking forward to an exciting 2012.  Driftwood and Debris is now in full swing and, as well as running workshops, I am creating a range of products to sell on-line and through fetes, fayres and festivals.  Yes, festivals, I know, me, festivals - where I plan to run some mini-workshops (but more on that another time).  What started out as an attempt to raise some cash, to help see the family through Christmas, has now evolved into my own small Eco-friendly business.  I get to go beach-combing (literally collecting driftwood and debris), make lovely and unique things, help others make lovely and unique things, meet interesting and fascinating people, and be my own boss!  On my latest foray to the beach I collected a few old bits of rope, some loose, some knotted, and one lovely piece attached to a stake of some sort (will post a picture once it's all cleaned up).  The rope is none too pretty in it's drenched state but I have used it before and it's a very effective and evocative material, lending a certain 'aura of the sailor and his plight' to my work, to think the rope has slipped through a fisherman's gnarled and weathered fingers, tied a boat to it's mooring, and so much more - well that's what I think anyway (purely subjective I know, but then it is MY blog!).

Get Knotted!  Close-up on a piece of old rope



No comments:

Post a Comment