Sunday 27 November 2011

More Gorgeous Stuff For Sale

Well, I have been a very busy bee these last few days.  I have purchased some REAL glass mirrors (rather than the 'safety' acrylic) and affixed them to a sound base of 6mm MDF.  I have also given the back of the mirror frame an extra touch by lining with hessian.  This has raised the feel of the whole mirror to another level entirely.  The mirrors suddenly look and feel very professional and polished, in spite of the natural materials used to create them.  As I progress I hope to affix my very own label so that people know they are 'Driftwood and Debris' mirrors/ products.  I have a star for sale which is also hessian backed - it looks and feels very different to my initial foam-board prototypes - more expensive and time-consuming to produce but, hopefully, stout enough to last a lifetime!  My latest creations are now on sale (see link at the top of the page).  Have a look and see what you think...
Hessian for the backing

Hessian backed mirror

This is my latest and (I think) loveliest mirror yet!

I really like the flaked paint detail here

Bleached driftwood mirror

Hessian back with D-ring fixing

Bleached driftwood detail


The shells and driftwood are so evocative of the sea - lush!


2 comments:

  1. G'day Sam
    I am a woodturner living in Tasmania but have recently taken an interest in driftwood art due mainly because I live close to several ocean beaches with a wealth of driftwood available in all shapes and sizes. I feel there is a certain synergy with turning items from interesting timber and creating something from driftwood.
    I came across your work whilst browsing the internet.
    Congratulations on your mirrors. I thought they were imaginative, with an interesting combination of shells,driftwood etc. The use of hessian on the backing board is a great idea and adds another medium to the total work.
    Your work has encouraged me to press on. At the moment the use of driftwood to make lamp bases and mobiles will be amongst my first projects.
    Cheers
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Geoff! As you can see, I have been tinkering away for years (on and off) and am only now applying myself to my real love - making and creating beautiful items for the home (I also want to write childrens' stories - I have loads of ideas! - but that's for another day). I am delighted that you are inspired to press on with your work - I would love to see it!
      All the best and happy making!
      Sam

      Delete